These times of quarantine, social isolation and social distancing can be stressful on many of us. Our routines are broken and daily we are bombarded with new information and precautions to take. Here's some things you can do during these times:
1) Focus on the goodness of God rather than the fears of the virus. When you wake each morning DO NOT turn on the TV or radio to hear the latest information. Instead have a preselected devotion or song ready so your focus is on God. The news will be there all day. However, if you start your day with God you will be in a better frame of mind to rejoice in Him. (Read Romans 5:1-5 listen to "More than Enough" https://youtu.be/dFPa_147idI)
2) You can go outside and get a breath of fresh air. Spend at least 5-10 minutes looking at God's handiwork. Listen for and to the birds. Take this opportunity to really focus on the majesty of God not on the negativity of the virus.
3) Find ways to not seclude yourself for days on end. That means call a neighbor or friend and talk about anything but the virus. Call family members and share a laugh about something. You can always remember a funny story about your family.
4) Watch movies or shows that you have already recorded but "haven't gotten around to it" or "I forgot I even recorded this." If you are feeling sad, don't watch a sad show or movie or listen to sad songs. What makes you want to be sadder???
5) Get up and dance! That's exercise and fun. Pull out your old records (those of us in certain ages know what I mean) or CDs or cassettes or if you still have an 8 track (which I hope you don't) and listen to your favorite songs.
6) Have a singing contest with your family. Or do a "Can you guess this song?" contest. Be creative.
7) Play board games. These can be fun, however, don't get caught up in too much competition.
8) Put a limit on how much time you or you allow your children to play video games as you run the risk of getting addicted to them.
9) Start a Bible reading plan that is found on many apps. This is a great way to connect with family and friends. Allow your young children/grandchildren/nieces/nephews to pick out a study so there is family engagement.
10) Don't forget to eat healthy. Try recipes that align with eating healthy. You need good nourishment not binging during this time.
11) You have wanted to shed a few pounds or get in an exercise routine now you have time to do it. No excuses. There are programs you can find that will teach how to take everyday things found in your home to aid in exercise. The couch and TV will still be there when you get done.
12) Have a social media FAST!! Clear your mind and head from all the things you've read and seen. Limit your kids social media time even more. Social media addiction is real. Try going without it for 2-3 days and see how you feel and behave.
13) Great time to start that Spring Cleaning or to clean/clear out the closets, kitchen cabinets, pantries, garage, etc.
14) Seek mental health counseling if you are suicidal or have had suicidal thoughts, depressed or having anxiety or panic attacks.